By Agence France-Presse | Updated: 20 June 2022
A Game of Throne sequel focused on the fan-favourite, impossible-to-kill character Jon Snow is in early development at HBO, according to Hollywood trade reports.
Kit Harington — whose stoic warrior Snow was last seen banished from Westeros in the Thrones finale — is attached to star if the spin-off series goes ahead, the Hollywood Reporter and Variety said, citing anonymous sources.
HBO declined to comment, and Harington’s representatives did not immediately respond to an AFP request for comment.
If the show gets a green light, it would be the latest in a rapidly expanding television universe based on George RR Martin’s fantasy novels.
Three live-action prequel series are already in the works — including “House of the Dragon,” which hits screens this August — as well as three animated prequels.
But the purported Jon Snow series would be the first to be set after the events of smash hit Game of Thrones, which bowed out with a deeply divisive final season in 2019.
While several major characters died, Snow — who was revealed to be Aegon Targaryen, a potential heir to the Iron Throne — left Westeros in exile, headed for the icy and wild North.
His character had already been brought back from death, after being betrayed earlier in the show’s run.
News of the possible spin-off drew mixed reaction from fans online, with some delighted to see more of arguably the standout character from Thrones, and others questioning the logic of picking up from the original show’s disappointing finale.
“Bro just re-do the last season at this point… We ain’t gonna get mad at you and you get to make all that money again and have a chance at a competent ending,” said one popular post on Reddit.
During its eight-year run from 2011, Game of Thrones was a global phenomenon, scooping a record 59 Emmys with its warring families and fire-breathing dragons, medieval violence and non-stop sex.
Martin signed a five-year deal with HBO in 2021, reportedly worth “mid-eight figures” in dollars, to develop shows both within and beyond the Thrones universe.
Gears of War Netflix Live-Action Movie, Adult Animated Series in the Works
By ANI | Updated: 8 November 2022
Gears of War, one of the most popular Xbox video game series of all time, is coming to Netflix.
Netflix announced Monday that it will produce a feature film adaptation of the sci-fi shooter game, followed by an adult animated series. The streamer also mentions the “possibility of additional stories to follow.”
Gears of War was released 16 years ago today and to mark the occasion, Netflix has partnered with The Coalition to adapt the @GearsofWar video game saga into a live action feature film, followed by an adult animated series — with the potential for more stories to follow! pic.twitter.com/3zInFSnUu4— Netflix (@netflix) November 7, 2022
The Coalition, a video game developer that took over Gears of War when Microsoft purchased the series’ licence from original creator Epic Games, has collaborated with Netflix on the planned adaptations.
The first Gears of War game was launched exclusively on the Xbox 360 in 2006. It featured a macho team of troops known as Delta Squad as they battled the Locust Horde, a subterranean extra-terrestrial civilisation that decimates humanity.
Marcus Fenix, Dominic ‘Dom’ Santiago, Augustus Cole, and Damon Baird were the core Delta Squad members. They utilised heavy-duty guns, rocket launchers, and lancers — rifles with chainsaws attached — to dispatch the Locust swarms.
Since then, the Gears of War franchise has sold over 40 million copies across five primary entries and various spin-offs, making it one of the most popular Xbox franchises.
The games are credited with redefining the third-person shooter video game genre, including suitable options that allow players to take on the Locust Horde with a friend.
The Netflix announcement coincides with the 16th anniversary of the first Gears of War game.
Several attempts have been made throughout the years to adapt Gears of War for the big screen.
A film adaptation was temporarily lofted by New Line Cinema in 2007 before Scott Stuber, who is currently in charge of Netflix’s original content, joined Epic Games as a producer in 2014.
In 2018, Universal Pictures recruited F. Scott Frazier to write an adaptation, but no further action was taken.
Supreme Court Rejects Stay on Amazon Prime’s Mirzapur Season 3, Calls Pre-Censorship of Web Series Impermissible
By ANI | Updated: 14 October 2022
The Supreme Court on Thursday asked how can there be a pre-screening committee for web series, films or other programmes which are directly released on online platforms.
A bench headed by Chief Justice of India UU Lalit observed that it always felt pre-censorship is impermissible.
“How can there be a pre-screening committee for web series? There is particular legislation. Unless you say OTT (over-the-top) is also a part of it… you must say that existing legislation must apply to OTT. Various questions will arise because transmission occurs from other countries”, the bench said.
The top court was hearing a plea filed by Mirzapur resident Sujeet Kumar Singh for setting up a pre-screening committee for web series, films or other programmes which are directly released on online platforms.
The top court also refused to stay the third season of the popular Mirzapur web series, which is currently under production.
Earlier, the Supreme Court had issued notices to makers and producers of the web series Mirzapur and Amazon Prime Video on a petition complaining about the portrayal of Mirzapur city in a bad light in the famous OTT series.
The PIL said that in the web series, makers have shown Mirzapur as a city of goons and adulteresses and such display malign the image as the city of Uttar Pradesh. It added that in the fictional series, Mirzapur has been displayed as being full of terror, crime, and other illegal activities.
Stating that the Mirzapur series has tarnished the historical and cultural image of the city, the petition stated that the OTT series is full of nudity, vulgarity, harassment and abusive language.
The petition sought the direction of the government of India to set up a screening committee for web series, films, or other programmes which are directly released on the online platform. “Ministry of I&B to make certificate mandatory from a government authority before releasing any web series, movies or programme,” plea added.
“The government of India should set up rules and regulations for series, movies and other programmes which are released on web platforms and must be censored like other movies before their release in theatres.” it said.
Mirzapur Season 3
- CastPankaj Tripathi, Ali Fazal, Shweta Tripathi Sharma, Rasika Dugal, Vijay Verma, Harshita Gaur, Anjum Sharma, Priyanshu Painyuli, Sheeba Chadha, Rajesh Tailang
- DirectorGurmmeet Singh, Anand Iyer
- ProductionExcel Media and Entertainment
Chhello Show at Rs. 95: India’s Oscar Entry to Open in 95 Cinemas for Thursday ‘Last Show’ Previews
By Press Trust of India | Updated: 10 October 2022
Chhello Show, India’s official Oscar entry, is set to release this Friday, October 14 in cinemas across India. As part of a new marketing stunt, Thursday previews for Last Film Show will be held in 95 theatres, with tickets priced at Rs. 95.
The Pan Nalin film will be screened at the ‘last shows’ on Thursday, a day prior to its Friday release. But why 95?
Titled Chhello Show in Gujarati, the coming-of-age drama is India’s official entry for the Best International Feature Film category at the 95th Academy Awards, slated to take place in March 2023.
“There has been immense excitement among fans for our film Last Film Show, and we are all too happy to release it on the Last Show of Thursday,” Nalin said in a prepared statement.
“Also, what better way to celebrate its selection at the 95th Oscars than by releasing it in 95 cinemas at a wonderful price of Rs. 95,” Nalin added.
Inspired by Nalin’s own memories of falling in love with movies as a child in rural Gujarat, Last Film Show is set at the cusp of the digital revolution.
Set in a remote rural village of Saurashtra, the film follows the story of a nine-year-old boy who begins a lifelong love affair with cinema when he bribes his way into a rundown movie palace and spends a summer watching movies from the projection booth.
In a joint statement, producers Siddharth Roy Kapur of Roy Kapur Films and Dheer Momaya of Jugaad Motion Pictures said they are thrilled with the big screen release of Last Film Show.
“With our exhibitors on board, we are releasing the film in the final shows of Thursday across 95 cinemas at a Rs. 95 ticket price. This is our humble way of honouring the love and excitement audiences across India have shown for our film. See you at the movies,” they said.
Last Film Show is produced by Roy Kapur Films, Jugaad Motion Pictures, Monsoon Films, and Chhello Show LLP.
The film is being distributed in the country by Roy Kapur Films in partnership with PVR.
It will be released by Samuel Goldwyn Films in the USA, Orange Studio in France, Shochiku Studios in Japan, and Medusa in Italy.
- Release Date 14 October 2022
- Language Gujarati
- Genre Drama
- Duration 1h 50min
- Cast Bhavin Rabari, Bhavesh Shrimali, Richa Meena, Dipen Raval, Paresh Mehta, Vikas Bata, Rahul Koli, Shoban Makwa, Kishan Parmar, Vijay Mer, Alpesh Tank, Tia Sebastien, Jasmin Joshi
- Director Pan Nalin
- Music Cyril Morin
- Producer Pan Nalin, Dheer Momaya, Siddharth Roy Kapur, Marc Duale
- Production Chhello Show LLP, Monsoon Films, Jugaad Motion Pictures, Roy Kapur Films
Steven Spielberg’s The Fabelmans wins Toronto audience award
By: Associated Press, Beijing | September 18, 2022
Steven Spielberg’s autobiographical coming-of-age drama The Fabelmans won the Toronto International Film Festival’s top prize, the People’s Choice Award, solidifying its early status as Academy Awards frontrunner.
Toronto’s audience award was announced Sunday as the largest North American film festival wrapped up its 47th edition and first full-scale gathering in three years. The return of crowds at TIFF brought the world premieres of a number of anticipated crowd pleasers, including the Viola Davis-led The Woman King, Rian Johnson’s Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery and Billy Eichner’s Bros.
Toronto’s audience award, voted on by festival moviegoers, is a much-watched harbinger of the coming awards season. Each of the last ten years, the TIFF winner has gone on to be nominated for best picture at the Oscars — and often won it. Last year, Kenneth Branagh’s Belfast triumphed at a much-diminished hybrid Toronto International Film Festival. The year before that, Chloé Zhao’s Nomadland took TIFF’s award before winning at the Academy Awards. Other past winners include 12 Years a Slave, La La Land and Green Book.
This year, no film came into the festival more anticipated than The Fabelmans, Spielberg’s memory-infused film about his childhood. In the movie, which Universal Pictures will release Nov. 11, Michelle Williams and Paul Dano play the parents, with newcomer Gabriel LaBelle as teenage Spielberg, Sammy Fabelman. The film scored rave reviews after its premiere.
“This is the most personal film I’ve made and the warm reception from everyone in Toronto made my first visit to TIFF so intimate and personal for me and my entire ‘Fabelman’ family,’” Spielberg said in a statement read by Cameron Bailey, festival director.
The first runner-up to the prize was Sarah Polley’s Woman Talking, about the female members of a Mennonite colony gathered to discuss years of sexual abuse. The second runner-up went to Johnson’s Glass Onion, the director’s whodunit sequel for Netflix.
Audience in other sections of the festival also vote for People’s Choice awards. The festival’s audience prize for documentary went to “Black Ice,” Hubert Davis’ film about the history of Black hockey players executive produced by LeBron James. The midnight section winner was “Weird: The Al Yankovic Story,” Eric Appel’s music biopic parody co-written with Yankovic and starring Daniel Radcliffe.
Wow, said Appel in a statement. “I never in a million years thought that our satire of traditional awards films would actually win an award, itself.”
Shopify offers workers greater say in compensation structure to attract talent
By: Reuters, September 16, 2022
Sept 16 (Reuters) – Shopify Inc said on Friday it has introduced a new compensation system that allows staff more flexibility in restructuring their awards between cash and equity, as the e-commerce major seeks to attract and retain workers.
As many as 91% of the eligible employees have already enrolled in the new system, Flex Comp, the company said.
“An employee saving to buy a house can choose to take home more in cash. Someone planning for their children’s future can opt for more RSUs or options,” Shopify Chief Human Resources Officer Tia Silas said in an interview.
The share vesting will begin immediately as one-year cliffs on equity have been removed, Silas added.
The company, which offers tools and payment systems for merchants to set up their online stores, last week named investment banker Jeff Hoffmeister as its financial head to help it navigate a challenging environment with several headwinds including high inflation and lower demand.
The Canadian company has said in the past it would cut about a 10th of its workforce and review its operations to slash spending given a challenging environment, with cost-conscious consumers cutting back on online purchases.
Shopify, whose shares were down about 4% in early trading amid a broader decline in stocks, said it has no additional workforce reductions planned.
YouTube, Meta will expand policies, research to fight online extremism
By: Reuters, September 16, 2022
Major tech companies on Thursday committed to taking fresh steps to combat online extremism by removing more violent content and promoting media literacy with young users, as part of a White House summit on fighting hate-fueled violence.
Platforms like Alphabet’s YouTube and Meta Platforms’ Facebook have come under fire for years from critics who say the companies have allowed hate speech, lies and violent rhetoric to flourish on their services.
US President Joe Biden earlier on Thursday called on Americans to combat racism and extremism during a summit at the White House that gathered experts and survivors and included bipartisan local leaders.
YouTube said it will expand its policies on violent extremism to remove content that glorifies violent acts, even if the creators of the videos are not related to a terrorist organization.
The video streaming site already prohibits violent incitement, but in at least some cases has not applied existing policies to videos promoting militia groups involved with the January 6 storming of the US Capitol.
A report by the Tech Transparency Project in May found 435 pro-militia videos on YouTube, including 85 posted since the Jan. 6 attack. Some of the videos gave training advice, like how to carry out guerilla-style ambushes.
YouTube spokesman Jack Malon declined to say whether the service would change its approach to that content under the new policy, but said the update enables it to go further with enforcement than it had previously.
YouTube also said it will launch a media literacy campaign to teach younger users how to spot the
manipulation tactics that are used to spread misinformation.
Microsoft said it will make a basic and more affordable version of its artificial intelligence and machine learning tools available to schools and smaller organizations in order to help them detect and prevent violence.
Facebook owner Meta announced it will partner with researchers from the Middlebury Institute of International Studies’ Center on Terrorism, Extremism and Counterterrorism.
Last year, lawmakers grilled the chief executives of Alphabet and Facebook, as well as Twitter Inc, on whether their companies bore some responsibility for the Jan. 6 attack
Amitabh Bachchan Wins Interim Order for Protection of His Personality Rights
NASA’s Orion Spacecraft Enters Lunar Orbit a Week After Artemis I Launch
Amazon Said to End Two EU Antitrust Probes by Year-End to Avoid Fine
India Is Planning to Roll Out 6G Telecom Network by Decade End, 5G to Launch in Few Months: Prime Minister Modi
Hyundai Partners With Tata Power to Set Up Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructure
India’s 5G Testbed Successfully Tested in IIT Madras, Union Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw Made First 5G Call
Computers2 weeks ago
Mahindra Q4 Profit Up 46 Percent as Vehicle Sales Soar 75 Percent YoY to Over 1.7 Lakh Units
Mobiles2 weeks ago
iPhone Assembler Foxconn Set to Update Q4 Outlook After COVID Curbs Lifted at Major China Plant
Science3 days ago
ISRO’s RH200 Sounding Rocket Registers 200th Consecutive Successful Launch
Computers2 weeks ago
Rapidus Project Gains Japanese Government Backing Ahead of Goal to Mass Produce Advanced Chips by 2027
Mobiles1 week ago
Mobile Industry Agrees for Phased Rollout of Uniform Device Chargers in India
Science1 week ago
SpaceX Employees Fired for Criticising Elon Musk Accuse Firm of Violating US Labour Law
Technology2 weeks ago
DoT Extends Deadline for Receipt of Comments on Indian Telecommunication Bill Draft Till November 20
Mobiles2 weeks ago
iPhone Assembler Foxconn Said to Plan to Quadruple Workforce at Tamil Nadu Plant Over Two Years