By Reuters | Updated: 28 July 2022
Samsung Electronics cautioned chip demand from smartphone and PC makers would weaken further as people shop less, and that the more resilient demand from server clients may also see adjustments amid recession worries.
While the world’s top maker of memory chips and smartphones turned in its best April-June operating profit since 2018 on strong server chip demand, it said its mobile business saw profits weakening amid geopolitical issues, inflation concerns, and higher components and logistics costs.
“Server (chip demand) is less affected by macro issues… But if global recession occurs, server clients will also have to adjust their inventory,” Jin-man Han, executive vice president at Samsung’s memory chip business, said on a conference call.
“Due to high uncertainty, we are updating our forecast constantly,” he added.
Earlier, San Diego-based Qualcomm warned of a hit to fourth-quarter sales from cooling smartphone demand, adding to the chorus of voices cautioning about chip sales as red-hot inflation squeezes consumer spending.
Also, the Ukraine crisis and COVID-19 lockdowns in China, the world’s biggest smartphone market, have worsened supply-chain snags, forcing many phone makers to cut orders for chips.
Samsung will respond to the uncertainty by “flexible” deployment of short-term capital expenditure and disciplined supply of chips to fit demand, Han said without elaborating.
An analyst at Cape Investment & Securities, Park Sung-soon, said he expects a “capital expenditure cut by Samsung as well as SK Hynix for next year in memory chip business”.
However, Samsung was relatively optimistic about demand for smartphones in the second half, saying supply disruptions for the company had mostly been resolved and that demand would either stay flat or even see a single-digit growth.
It is aiming for foldable phone sales to surpass that of its past flagship smartphone, Galaxy Note, in the second half. It is expected to unveil its latest foldables on August 10.
Best Q2 profit since 2018
Samsung’s operating profit rose to KRW 14.1 trillion (roughly Rs. 86,142 crore) for the quarter ended June 30 from KRW 12.57 trillion (roughly Rs. 77,146 crore) a year earlier, its highest second-quarter profit since 2018 and also slightly more than its own estimate of KRW 14 trillion (roughly Rs. 85,925 crore).
The profit included chip profits of KRW 9.98 trillion (roughly Rs. 61,252 crore) and mobile business profits of KRW 2.62 trillion (roughly Rs. 16,080 crore).
“Fundamental demand for server (memory chips) will stay solid as the investments in core infrastructure and new growth areas such as AI and 5G are expected to keep expanding, centering on major data centre companies,” Samsung said.
TSMC, the world’s largest contract-chipmaker, earlier this month also touted demand for its high-tech chips used in data centres.
However, smaller rival SK Hynix 000660.KS said on Wednesday that demand for server memory chips was likely to slow in the second half as data centre customers use up their inventory while bracing for recession.
Samsung’s April-June revenue rose 21 percent to KRW 77.2 trillion (roughly Rs. 4,73,781 crore).
A strong dollar also aided Samsung’s chip profits, boosting its operating profit by about KRW 1.3 trillion (roughly Rs. 7,900 crore) versus the prior quarter, the company said.
Samsung’s chip sales are made mainly in dollars, while it reports its profit in Korean won, so a firm greenback translates to higher chip earnings.
Shares of the company were up 0.7 percent in afternoon trade, versus a 1 percent rise in the wider market and a 0.3 percent drop in memory chip rival SK Hynix shares.
© Thomson Reuters 2022
NavIC Rollout: No Timeline Fixed For Implementing Indigenous GPS Alternative, MeitY Says
By ANI | Updated: 27 September 2022
The central government has said that it has held a meeting with mobile manufacturers to discuss the compatibility of the home-grown global positioning system — NavIC — in smartphones, but no timeline was fixed for its implementation.
This clarification by the government came on Monday after media reports suggested India was looking to mandate its indigenous navigation system “within months”.
The Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) said the meeting was “consultative”.
“A media report has claimed citing a meeting that mobile cos were asked to make smartphones compatible with NavIC within months. This is to clarify: (1) No timeline has been fixed. (2) The cited meeting was consultative; and (3) the issue is under discussion with all stakeholders,” the Ministry of Electronics and IT said in a tweet late on Monday night.
A media report has claimed citing a meeting that mobile cos were asked to make smartphones compatible with NavIC within months. This is to clarify: (1) No timeline has been fixed. (2) The cited meeting was consultative; and (3) the issue is under discussion with all stakeholders.— Ministry of Electronics & IT (@GoI_MeitY) September 26, 2022
What is NavIC? How is it different from its previous version IRNSS?
NavIC (Navigation with Indian Constellation) is the name of the independent stand-alone navigation satellite system of India.
This system was earlier known as IRNSS (Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System).
The name NavIC was coined by the Prime Minister of India on the occasion of the completion of the constellation in April 2016.
Which are the navigation satellite systems operational currently in the world?
Presently, there are four global systems, GPS from the US, GLONASS from Russia, Galileo from European Union and BeiDou from China.
In addition, there are two regional systems, NavIC from India and QZSS from Japan.
What is the need for NavIC when already GPS, GLONASS, Galileo and BeiDou are operating?
GPS and GLONASS are operated by defence agencies of the respective nations. It is possible that the civilian service can be degraded or denied.
NavIC is an independent regional system over the Indian region and does not depend on other systems for providing position service within the service region.
It is fully under the control of the Government of India.
Apple to hike App Store prices in several countries from Oct
By: Reuters, Updated September 20, 2022
Apple Inc said on Monday prices of apps and in-app purchases on its App Store will increase in several countries including Japan, Malaysia and all territories that use the euro currency, from next month.
The new prices, excluding auto-renewable subscriptions, will be effective as early as Oct. 5, Apple said in a blog post.
These changes will also reflect new regulations for Apple in Vietnam to collect and remit applicable taxes, being value added tax (VAT) and corporate income tax (CIT) at 5% rates respectively, the company added.
Apple plans to use latest chip tech by Taiwan’s TSMC in iPhones, Macs – Nikkei
By: Reuters, September 14, 2022
Sept 14 (Reuters) – Apple Inc is planning to use an updated version of Taiwanese chipmaker TSMC’s (2330.TW) latest chip producing technology in iPhones and Macbooks next year, the Nikkei Asia newspaper reported on Wednesday.
The A17 mobile processor, which is currently under development, will be mass-produced using TSMC’s N3E chipmaking tech, expected to be available in the second half of next year, the report said, citing people familiar with the matter.
The A17 will be used in the premium entry in the iPhone lineup slated for release in 2023, it added.
Apple declined to comment, while TSMC did not immediately respond to Reuters request for a comment.
The current iPhone model has an A15 processor chip and in the recent Apple launch event, the company said iPhone 14 Pro models will also have the same.
The chipmaker controls about 54% of the global market for contractually produced chips, supplying firms including Apple and Qualcomm Inc.
New Apple iPhone will be available in Russia, trade minister says
By: Reuters, September 8, 2022
Sept 8 (Reuters) – Russians will have the chance to buy the new Apple iPhone 14 despite the U.S. tech company having left the country thanks to Moscow’s parallel import scheme, a senior government official told the RIA Novosti news agency on Thursday.
Russia announced the scheme in March when it authorised retailers to import products from abroad without the trademark owner’s permission. read more
Asked whether the new iPhone, unveiled by Apple on Wednesday, would be imported under the scheme, Trade and Industry Minister Denis Manturov said: “Why not? If consumers want to buy these phones, yes. There will be the opportunity.”
Apple halted new product sales in Russia in March, a week after Russia invaded Ukraine, though the iPhone, MacBook and other Apple goods have remained available in Russian stores as retailers sell down their remaining stock of old models and get hold of newly released devices through the import scheme.
Russian mobile network MTS on Thursday morning was already selling the new iPhone 14 models on pre-order. Prices start from 84,990 roubles ($1,398) for the 128GB version.
MTS said delivery could take up to 120 days and it retained the right to cancel orders if it faced difficulties importing the products.
Apple did not immediately respond to a request to comment.
Manturov, who is also a deputy prime minister, said last month that the scheme, which covers Western products ranging from luxury clothes to cars, could reach $16 billion in value this year, equivalent to around 4% of Russia’s 2021 imports.
Apple to appeal Brazil sales ban of iPhone without charger
By: Reuters, September 7, 2022
SAO PAULO, Sept 6 (Reuters) – Apple Inc said on Tuesday it will appeal a Brazilian order banning it from selling iPhones without a battery charger, pushing back on claims that the company provides an incomplete product to consumers.
The Justice Ministry fined Apple 12.275 million reais ($2.38 million) and ordered the company to cancel sales of the iPhone 12 and newer models, in addition to suspending the sale of any iPhone model that does not come with a charger.
In the order, published on Tuesday in the country’s official gazette, the ministry argued that the iPhone was lacking a essential component in a “deliberate discriminatory practice against consumers.”
The authorities rejected Apple’s argument that the practice had the purpose of reducing carbon emissions, saying there is no evidence that selling the smartphone without a charger offers environmental protections.
Apple said it would continue to work with Brazilian consumer protection agency Senacon in order to “resolve their concerns,” while saying it would appeal the decision.
“We have already won several court rulings in Brazil on this matter and we are confident that our customers are aware of the various options for charging and connecting their devices,” Apple said.
The order comes a day before Apple is expected to announce its new iPhone model.
India considers restricting sale of sub-$150 phones by Chinese firms, Bloomberg reports
By reuters | Updated: 29 August 2022
NEW DELHI, Aug 8 (Reuters) – India is seeking to restrict Chinese companies from its sub-$150 phone market in a bid to revive the prospects of domestic players, Bloomberg News reported on Monday, citing unidentified sources.
The move would be a blow to Chinese companies such as Xiaomi , according to the report. The plans coincide with rising concerns in India about Chinese brands undercutting local smartphone makers, it added.
It is unclear if the Indian government will announce policies or use informal channels to execute the block on Chinese smartphone makers, Bloomberg said, citing people familiar with the matter.
Chinese firms account for a major chunk of entry-level smartphones that are popular among users shifting away from traditional devices in India, which is the second largest mobile market in the world.
Indian firms such as Lava and MicroMax rapidly gained popularity after their launch over a decade ago, but have since lost market share to stiff competition from Chinese players.
Many Chinese companies have struggled to do business in India due to political tensions following a border clash in 2020. India cited security concerns in banning more than 300 Chinese apps, and has also tightened rules for Chinese companies investing in India.
Xiaomi and rival Vivo are being investigated by India’s financial crime fighting agency for alleged illegal remittances and money laundering. Both deny any wrongdoing.
The companies and the Indian government did not immediately respond to requests for comment on the report.
SpaceX Rocket With Next International Space Station Crew Enters Orbit, Including Russian Cosmonaut: All Details
Roblox Faces Lawsuit for Enabling Minor’s Sexual, Financial Exploitation; Meta, Snap, Discord Also Targeted
Spotify Acquires Content Moderation Firm Kinzen to Detect Harmful Content on the Platform
India Is Planning to Roll Out 6G Telecom Network by Decade End, 5G to Launch in Few Months: Prime Minister Modi
Hyundai Partners With Tata Power to Set Up Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructure
India’s 5G Testbed Successfully Tested in IIT Madras, Union Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw Made First 5G Call
Internet2 weeks ago
Meesho Records Nearly 87.6 Lakh Orders on Day 1 of 5-Day Festive Sale
Games2 weeks ago
Take-Two’s Grand Theft Auto VI gameplay leaked online – Bloomberg News
Social Networking3 weeks ago
Dutch town takes Twitter to court to remove conspiracy theories
Entertainment2 weeks ago
Steven Spielberg’s The Fabelmans wins Toronto audience award
Science2 weeks ago
Australian fish fossils get to the heart of vertebrate evolution
Cryptocurrency2 weeks ago
Bitcoin falls below $19,000 as cryptos creak under rate hike risk
Technology2 weeks ago
Uber says Lapsus$-linked hacker responsible for breach
Internet3 weeks ago
Chubu Electric joins all-Japan Toshiba buyout consortium