Connect with us

Apps

Quibi Streaming Service Shutting Down Just Months After Launch

Avatar

Published

on

By Agence France-Presse | Updated: 22 October 2020

Short-form streaming service Quibi announced Wednesday it is pulling the plug on the platform aimed at smartphone users hungry for entertainment on the go.

The brainchild of Hollywood powerhouse Jeffrey Katzenberg, Quibi launched in April with content tailored for busy people just as the pandemic compelled them to slow down and stay in.

“Quibi was founded to create the next generation of storytelling,” Katzenberg said in a release.

“The world has changed dramatically since Quibi launched and our standalone business model is no longer viable.”

Katzenberg reportedly tried to sell the startup’s catalogue of programmes to companies including NBCUniversal and Facebook without success.

The streaming service has more than 100 original series spanning a range of genres with episodes specifically designed for viewing on smartphones and lasting no more than 10 minutes each, according to the startup.

“We have assembled a world-class creative and engineering team that has created an original platform fueled by groundbreaking technology and IP, enabling consumers to view premium content in a whole new way,” Katzenberg said.

Quibi now plans to wind down operations and sell off its assets.

The fledgling platform scored 10 Emmy nominations including for cop spoof revival Reno 911! and dystopian thriller Most Dangerous Game including two Emmy wins for actors in “#FreeRayshawn.”

The multi-billion-dollar streaming platform had bet it could transform entertainment with short, Hollywood-quality clips.
‘Big idea’ gone bust

Industry legends and stars from Steven Spielberg and Guillermo del Toro to Jennifer Lopez and Reese Witherspoon were among those who lined up to make movies and shows for the youth-focused, smartphone-only service.

Hollywood stars committed to work with Quibi thanks to Katzenberg, a towering figure in Tinseltown who ran Disney Studios for a decade and co-founded DreamWorks.

Quibi had also hoped to keep users coming back with daily news, sports and entertainment shows.

“Quibi was a big idea and there was no one who wanted to make a success of it more than we did,” Katzenberg and Quibi chief executive Meg Whitman said in a letter to its employees posted on Medium.

“Our failure was not for lack of trying; we’ve considered and exhausted every option available to us.”
Taking on titans

While Quibi specialised in short-form shows to watch during spare minutes of the day, say waiting for transit or taking a break at work, people who hunkered down at home due to the coronavirus pandemic found time for big-screen options in an increasingly competitive streaming television market.

Disney+ launched by The Walt Disney Company late last year reported having 57.5 million paid subscribers as of the end of June.

It leverages a huge catalogue of Disney animated classics along with its Pixar, Marvel and National Geographic movies, not to mention its wildly successful “Star Wars” franchise.

Meanwhile Netflix has added 28.1 million paying subscribers so far this year, reporting this week that it now has slightly more than 195 million total subscribers.

Netflix and rival Amazon Prime invest billions of dollars in original content to win fans and keep them loyal.

Apple TV launched late last year with a limited catalogue but a low-priced subscription service, while NBCUniversal Peacock and HBO Max streaming television launched earlier this year.

Quibi also had to compete for younger viewers’ time with millions of free, often user-generated, videos hosted by YouTube, TikTok, Facebook and Instagram.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Apps

Flipkart Announces Partial Spin-Off of PhonePe to Help Fuel Long-Term Growth Plans

Avatar

Published

on

By ANI | Updated: 3 December 2020

Flipkart on Thursday announced a partial spin-off of PhonePe in a move that will help the digital payments platform to access dedicated, long-term capital to fund its growth ambitions.

PhonePe has crossed the 250 million registered user milestone in just four years with over 100 million monthly active users, generating nearly one billion digital payment transactions in October.

Flipkart said its board of directors determined that this was the right time to partially spin-off PhonePe so it can access dedicated capital to fund its long-term ambitions over the next three to four years.

The partial spin-off also provides PhonePe an opportunity to constitute a new board of directors focused on supporting its development, and to create a tailor-made equity incentive or employee stock option (ESOP) programme for its employees.

In this financing round, PhonePe is raising $700 million (roughly Rs. 5,200 crores) in primary capital at a post-money valuation of $5.5 billion (roughly Rs. 40,600 crores) from existing Flipkart investors led by Walmart.

Flipkart will remain PhonePe’s majority shareholder, and the two businesses will retain their close collaboration.

Continue Reading

Apps

Google Chrome 87 Getting Chrome Actions Feature, to Allow Users to Type Commands in Address Bar

Avatar

Published

on

By ANI | Updated: 27 November 2020 

Tech giant Google is gradually rolling out a new feature to Google Chrome 87 that allows the user to type commands in the address bar that perform specific browser actions.

According to Mashable, this new feature is called Chrome Actions and allows the user to type in a command, causing an action to be displayed in the address bar search results. When the user selects that action, it will be executed in the browser.

The new option can help user directly search in Google or the engine of choice and even present calculations and unit conversions even before pressing ”Enter”. Its next trick might appeal to a certain class of users who are more used to entering commands in a terminal or envision themselves giving orders to the browser through typed commands.

As reported by Mashable, the new feature called ‘Chrome Actions, will let the user type in some keywords and phrases, which can take the form of commands, to initiate some actions. Like other non-search results, these actions are presented in the suggestion list that user has to either click or if it is currently selected already, hit Enter to take effect.

Techdows lists some of those actions that are already known including: delete history, update browser, launch incognito mode, update credit card info, edit passwords, translate this.

Depending on one’s typing skills, these commands might be faster than digging through menus or click on things. They are not also enabled by default and the user will at least have to dig through chrome://flags to turn them on.

As the site points out, this is not a Google innovation and other browsers have had a similar feature even before Chrome Actions arrived.

Continue Reading

Apps

China App Ban: Chinese Foreign Ministry Criticises India’s Move to Ban More Apps

Avatar

Published

on

By Press Trust of India | Updated: 25 November 2020

China on Wednesday said it was firmly opposed to India’s decision to block 43 more Chinese apps on national security grounds, claiming the move violated WTO rules.

India on Tuesday blocked 43 more Chinese mobile apps, including Alibaba’s e-commerce app AliExpress, in a fresh wave of web sanctions amid its border standoff with China.

The banned applications were a threat to the “sovereignty and integrity of India”, an official statement said in New Delhi.

The Ministry of Electronics and IT issued the order for blocking the access of these apps by users in India based on the comprehensive reports received from Indian Cyber Crime Coordination Center, Ministry of Home Affairs, the release said.

Earlier on June 29 this year, the government had blocked access to 59 mobile apps and on September 2, another 118 apps were banned under Section 69A of the Information Technology Act.

The ban had come in the backdrop of border tensions with China in eastern Ladakh since May.

Asked for his reaction to the latest ban on Chinese apps by India, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian told a media briefing in Beijing that China expresses serious concern over India’s move.

“Since June this year four times India has imposed restrictions on smart phone apps that have Chinese backgrounds under the pretext of national security,” he said.

“This behaviour violates market principles and World Trade Organisation rules, severely undermines the legitimate rights and interests of Chinese companies. China firmly rejects it,” the spokesman said.
Zhao said Chinese government always asks its companies to abide by international rules and local laws and regulations when doing business overseas.

“Following the market principles, the Indian government has the responsibility to protect their lawful rights and interests of international investors, including Chinese companies”, he said.

He said the nature of China India economic and trade cooperation is mutually beneficial.

“We urge the Indian side to immediately correct its discriminatory behaviour and avoid further damage to bilateral cooperation,” he said.

Continue Reading

Apps

Google Messages to Get End-to-End Encryption for Android Users

Avatar

Published

on

By Agence France-Presse | Updated: 20 November 2020

Google said Thursday it will be rolling out end-to-end encryption for Android users, making it harder for anyone, including law enforcement, to read the content of messages.

“End-to-end encryption ensures that no one, including Google and third parties, can read the content of your messages as they travel between your phone and the phone of the person you’re messaging,” said Google product lead Drew Rowny in announcing the rollout.

Google’s move is part of an upgrade from SMS to the Rich Communication Services (RCS) standard with additional features for images and videos.

It will be available for people communicating using Android-powered devices.

The move brings additional privacy and security to Google’s messaging application, but comes amid rising complaints from law enforcement agencies around the world that strong encryption may enable criminals to hide their tracks.

Digital rights activists have long supported strong encryption to allow users to avoid snooping by governments and cybercriminals. But some governments have warned the technology could hinder criminal investigations.

End-to-end encryption is already available on some services such as Facebook-owned WhatsApp, but the company has been facing resistance over its plan to bring full encryption to its Messenger app.

Last year, US Attorney General William Barr joined with British and Australian counterparts in urging Facebook to abandon its encryption, claiming the plan court hurt investigations into child exploitation.

Civil liberties groups countered that a lack of encryption or privileged access for law enforcement could hurt privacy and security for all Internet users, creating holes that could be exploited by bad actors.

Continue Reading

Apps

Former Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer Makes Comeback With Sunshine Contacts App

Avatar

Published

on

By Agence France-Presse | Updated: 19 November 2020

Former Yahoo chief executive Marissa Mayer began her comeback to the tech scene Wednesday with the launch of a new mobile app aimed at helping people organise their contacts.

The startup created by Mayer after her departure from Yahoo in 2017 unveiled its app called Sunshine Contacts, which “automatically creates a comprehensive set of your personal and professional contacts from disparate places like your phone, online address books, and email,” according to the company.

“The essential technologies that help us stay connected to those who matter most are antiquated,” said Mayer, co-founder and CEO of Sunshine, which was previously known as Lumi Labs.

“At Sunshine, we believe there’s an immense opportunity to make the mundane magical. It’s been an extremely challenging and rewarding problem to tackle and we’re just getting started.”

Sunshine, based in Silicon Valley, has raised $20 million (roughly Rs. 150 crores) in capital and plans to launch a series of other applications.

The Sunshine Contacts app, which is free and available for the Apple iOS operating system, aims to help users create more organisation of their personal and professional contacts.

“If you are like most people, the contact cards on your phone are messy: they haven’t been updated in years, there are tons of duplicates, many are incomplete, some have out of date information,” according to the Sunshine website.

With the app, “your previously, static messy contact cards are then magically organised and updated with the latest info.”

Mayer left Yahoo in 2017 after failing to engineer a turnaround of the once-dominant Internet company, and finally negotiating a sale to telecom giant Verizon.

Yahoo was sold for less than $5 billion (roughly Rs. 37,100 crores), capping a long decline from when it had a peak market value of some $125 billion (roughly Rs. 9,27,700 crores) in 2000.

She was named CEO at Yahoo in 2012 after more than a decade at Google, becoming one of the few women to head a major Silicon Valley tech firm.

Mayer’s Sunshine co-founder is Enrique Munoz Torres, a former head of search and advertising at Yahoo and a graduate of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Continue Reading

Apps

Twitter Apologises to Parliament Panel for Geo-Tagging Ladakh in China

Avatar

Published

on

By Reuters | Updated: 19 November 2020

Social media giant Twitter has apologised to a parliamentary panel for showing a northern Himalayan region as part of China, promising to make corrections by month-end, the panel’s chief said on Wednesday.

Twitter’s chief privacy officer Damien Kieran sent an apology letter to the Joint Committee on the Personal Data Protection Bill after the company geo-tagged India’s northern territory of Ladakh in neighbouring China, the panel’s head Meenakashi Lekhi told Reuters.

“They have apologised in writing for hurting feelings of Indians,” said Lekhi, also a lawmaker from the country’s ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).

“We are committed to protecting assets of India – both physically and digitally”.

Twitter has assured the panel that the matter will be resolved by November 30, she added.

Twitter executives last month appeared before the panel to explain the error, with Lekhi accusing the company of disrespecting India’s sovereignty.

The mistake came to light after some Twitter users tagged their posts as being in Ladakh but the geo-tag showed their location in China.

Twitter at the time said the mistake had been quickly fixed.

Nuclear-armed India and China fought a brief but bloody border war in 1962, and are currently locked in a months-long military stand-off along their contested Himalayan border that includes the region of Ladakh.

The territory is claimed in full by arch-rivals India and Pakistan, while China claims a portion in the east known as the Aksai Chin.

The country’s lawmakers and Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s government have been at odds with US tech giants.

Lekhi last month criticised Amazon, threatening coercive action against the e-commerce giant after it failed to appear before her panel, while Facebook has been questioned by another parliament panel over its content regulation practices.

© Thomson Reuters 2020

Continue Reading

Trending