Connect with us

Internet

Facebook, Twitter, Google, Other Tech Firms Ask US Supreme Court to Block Texas Social Media Law

Published

on

By Reuters | Updated: 14 May 2022

Lobbying groups representing Facebook, Twitter, Google and other tech companies filed an emergency request with the US Supreme Court on Friday, seeking to block a Texas law that prohibits large social media platforms from banning users based on their political views.

The Texas law went into effect on Wednesday when the 5th US Circuit Court of Appeals granted the state’s request for a stay of a district judge’s injunction blocking the law.

The law forbids social media companies with more than 50 million active users per month from banning members based on their political views and requires them to publicly disclose how they moderate content.

It was signed into law by Texas Governor Greg Abbott, a Republican, in September.

Internet lobbying groups NetChoice and the Computer & Communications Industry Association filed a lawsuit against the measure, and US District Judge Robert Pitman in Austin, Texas, issued a preliminary injunction in December.

Pitman had found that the law would harm social media companies’ free speech rights under the First Amendment of the US Constitution.

The tech groups, in their emergency request, asked the Supreme Court to “allow the District Court’s careful reasoning to remain in effect while an orderly appellate process plays out.”

© Thomson Reuters 2022

Internet

China Announces Mandatory Security Reviews for Companies’ Data Exports From September 1

Published

on

By Reuters | Updated: 7 July 2022

China’s cyberspace regulator on Thursday said that rules requiring data exports to undergo security reviews would be effective from September 1, the first time it has given a start date for a new regulatory framework that will affect hundreds, if not thousands, of Chinese companies.

The details of a new compulsory security review to be carried out by the Cyberspace Administration of China (CAC), which will be used to determine whether large quantities of Chinese user data in the possession of a private entity can be sent overseas, were also finalised and published on Thursday, the regulator said in a statement on its official WeChat account.

While much of what the security review will entail was already laid out by the CAC in draft rules published last October, the final version published on Thursday adds an important detail.

China’s cyberspace regulator on Thursday said that rules requiring data exports to undergo security reviews would be effective from September 1, the first time it has given a start date for a new regulatory framework that will affect hundreds, if not thousands, of Chinese companies.

The details of a new compulsory security review to be carried out by the Cyberspace Administration of China (CAC), which will be used to determine whether large quantities of Chinese user data in the possession of a private entity can be sent overseas, were also finalised and published on Thursday, the regulator said in a statement on its official WeChat account.

While much of what the security review will entail was already laid out by the CAC in draft rules published last October, the final version published on Thursday adds an important detail.

“Clarifying the specific provisions of the data export security review is necessary to promote the healthy development of the digital economy, prevent and resolve cross-border data security risks, safeguard national security and the societal and public interest,” CAC said on Thursday.

China’s concerns regarding overseas data exports have recently bruised a number of Chinese companies.

The CAC launched cybersecurity reviews into Chinese companies Full Truck Alliance, Kanzhun Ltd, and ride-hailing giant Didi Global in July last year, ordering them to stop registering new users, citing national security and the public interest.

While Full Truck Alliance and Kanzhun announced the resumption of new user registration last week and said it had “rectified” the issues identified by the CAC’s probe, Didi has yet to make a similar announcement.

© Thomson Reuters 2022

Continue Reading

Internet

Elon Musk Said to Have Twins With Top Neuralink Executive Shivon Zilis Last Year: Report

Published

on

By Reuters | Updated: 7 July 2022

Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk and Shivon Zilis, a top executive at his brain-chip startup Neuralink, had twins in November of 2021, Business Insider reported on Wednesday.

In April, Musk and Zilis filed a petition to change the name of the twins to “have their father’s last name” and contain their mother’s last name as part of their middle name, the report said, citing court documents.

A month later, a Texas judge approved the petition, the report added.

A court docket summary on the Westlaw legal research service showed a judge signed an “Order Changing the Names Of Multiple Children” on May 11 after the name change petition from Musk and Zilis made on April 25 this year.

The report said, without citing any source, that Zillis has recently been floated as one of the people Musk could tap to run Twitter Inc after his $44 billion (roughly Rs. 3,47,660 crore) deal acquisition.

Zilis, 36, is identified on her LinkedIn profile as director of operations and special projects at Neuralink, which is co-founded and chaired by Musk, 51. She started working at the company in May 2017, the same month she was named a project director in artificial intelligence at Tesla, where she worked until 2019.

She also serves as a board member at artificial-intelligence research firm OpenAI, which was co-founded by Musk, according to her profile on LinkedIn.

The news of the twins’ arrival brings Musk’s total count of children to nine. Musk shares two children with Canadian singer Grimes, and other five kids with his ex-wife Canadian author Justine Wilson.

Musk and Grimes welcomed their second child via surrogate in December. The billionaire said that he and Grimes were “semi-separated,” according to a report by Page Six in September last year.

Musk and Zilis did not immediately respond to Reuters’ request for comments.

© Thomson Reuters 2022

Continue Reading

Internet

Hacker Puts 23TB Database Claimed to Contain Personal Data of Millions of Chinese Citizens for Sale

Published

on

By Agence France-Presse | Updated: 5 July 2022

A hacker claiming to have stolen personal data from hundreds of millions of Chinese citizens is now selling the information online. A sample of 750,000 entries posted online by the hacker showed citizens’ names, mobile phone numbers, national ID numbers, addresses, birthdays, and police reports they had filed. AFP and cybersecurity experts have verified some of the citizen data in the sample as authentic, but the scope of the entire database is hard to determine.

Advertised on a forum late last month but only picked up by cybersecurity experts this week, the 23TB database — which the hacker claims contains the records of a billion Chinese citizens — is being sold for 10 Bitcoins (approximately Rs. 16,00,000).

“It looks like it’s from multiple sources. Some are facial recognition systems, others appear to be census data,” said Robert Potter, co-founder of cybersecurity firm Internet 2.0.

“There is no verification of the total number of records and I’m sceptical of the one billion citizens number,” he added.

China maintains an extensive nationwide surveillance infrastructure that siphons massive amounts of data from its citizens, ostensibly for security purposes.

Growing public awareness of data privacy has led to stronger data protection laws targeting individuals and private firms in recent years, although there is little citizens can do to stop the state from collecting their data.

Some of the leaked data appeared to be from express delivery user records, while other entries contained summaries of incidents reported to police in Shanghai over a span of more than a decade, with the most recent from 2019.

The incident reports ranged from traffic accidents and petty theft to rape and domestic violence.

Heads will roll

At least four people out of over a dozen contacted by AFP confirmed their personal details, such as names and addresses, as listed in the database.

“So that’s why so many people have been adding my WeChat over the past few days. Should I report this to the police?” said one woman surnamed Hao.

“I’m really confused about why my personal data has been leaked,” said another woman surnamed Liu.

In replies to the original post, users speculated that the data may have been hacked from an Alibaba Cloud server where it was apparently being stored by the Shanghai police.

Potter, the cybersecurity analyst, confirmed that the files were hacked from Alibaba Cloud, which did not respond to an AFP request for comment.

If confirmed, the breach would be one of the largest in history and a major violation of the recently approved Chinese data protection laws.

“Heads will roll over this one,” tweeted Kendra Schaefer, tech partner at research consultancy Trivium China.

China’s cybersecurity administration did not respond to a fax requesting comment.

Continue Reading

Internet

UK Proposes to Strengthen Internet Laws to Fight Russian Disinformation

Published

on

By Reuters | Updated: 5 July 2022

Britain is proposing a new law that will require social media companies to proactively tackle disinformation posted by foreign states such as Russia, the government said on Monday.

The law would tackle fake accounts on platforms such as Meta’s Facebook and Twitter that were set up on behalf of foreign states to influence elections or court proceedings, the government said.

The law is likely to be passed during this parliamentary session through an amendment to link the National Security Bill and Online Safety Bill, both of which are in the government’s current programme.

Communications regulator Ofcom will draw up codes of practice to help social media companies comply with the law, and will have the power to issue fines for infringement.

Digital Secretary Nadine Dorries said on Monday the invasion of Ukraine has shown how Russia uses social media to spread lies about its actions.

“We cannot allow foreign states or their puppets to use the internet to conduct hostile online warfare unimpeded,” she said. “That’s why we are strengthening our new internet safety protections to make sure social media firms identify and root out state-backed disinformation.”

Recently, India too reissued new rules on social media companies that it proposed then abruptly withdrew in May, making no changes but explaining that the law was needed because the companies had violated Indians’ constitutional rights.

The country in May released a draft of changes to its IT law that would require companies to “respect the rights accorded to the citizens under the constitution of India” and setting up a government panel to hear appeals of the companies’ content moderation decisions.

The government released the draft again in June without changes and solicited public comments within 30 days. But New Delhi for the first time explained its reasoning.

“A number of (technology) Intermediaries have acted in violation of constitutional rights of Indian citizens,” the government said, without naming any company or specific rights.

© Thomson Reuters 2022

Continue Reading

Internet

Digital India Week 2022: PM Narendra Modi Launches Multiple Digital Portals in Gujarat

Published

on

By ANI | Updated: 4 July 2022

Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched multiple digital portals at the ongoing Digital India Week 2022 including a single sign-in portal Meri Pehchaan, a website IndiaStack.Global, MyScheme, on Monday. The launch came during the ongoing Digital India Week 2022 in Gandhinagar.

He highlighted that the masses had to hustle from pin to pole for basic registrations and documents, however, the country solved the issue digitally. “Just remember the situations 8-10 years ago. The line for taking birth certificate. If you want to pay the bill, then the line, ration line, line for admission, line for result and certificate, line in banks, India solved so many lines online,” said PM Modi.

He also stressed that India is guiding the world in the fourth industrial revolution, Industry 4.0.

“With the passage of time, the country which does not adopt modern technology, time moves ahead leaving it behind. India was a victim of this during the Third Industrial Revolution. But today, we can proudly say that India is guiding the world in the fourth industrial revolution, Industry 4.0,” he added.

Indiastack.global is a global repository of key projects implemented under India Stack like Aadhaar, UPI, Digilocker, Cowin Vaccination Platform, Government e Marketplace (GeM), DIKSHA Platform and Ayushman Bharat Digital Health Mission. This offering of India to the Global Public Digital Goods repository will help position India as the leader of building Digital Transformation projects at population scale, and prove to be of immense help to other countries which are looking for such technology solutions.

MyScheme is a service discovery platform facilitating access to Government schemes. It aims to offer a one-stop search and discovery portal where users can find schemes that they are eligible for.

Meri Pehchaan is a National Single Sign On for One Citizen Login. National Single Sign-On (NSSO) is a user authentication service in which a single set of credentials provide access to multiple online applications or services.

Continue Reading

Internet

Delhi Police Bust Fake Call Centre, 12 Arrested for Duping People With Fake Amazon Gift Cards

Published

on

By Agencies | Updated: 4 July 2022

Delhi Police busted a fake call centre involved in duping people on the pretext of redeeming gift cards. The police have arrested 12 people linked with the case.

The arrested people have been identified as Adarsh, Naveen, Pradeep, Md. Saifuddin, Nitin, Praveen Chauhan, Rahul, Brijesh, Sahiba Khatun alias Twinkle, Abha, Monika and Mohit Verma.

Police had received information that a call centre involved in duping US citizens was operating at IGNOU Road, Neb Sarai. Following that a team was formed and a trap was laid on the intervening night of June 30 near Balhara Hospital, IGNOU Road. “On pointing out of informer a raid was conducted and it was found that a setup of computers and accessories were installed in the premises. Several persons were receiving the calls and were engaged in communicating with the victims. They were impersonating themselves as Amazon representative,” stated the police release.

Police have also recovered nine desktop systems along with an internet router and TP-link modems from the accused’s possession.

“By using computer Apps- Team Viewer, Zoho Assist, they dupe the victim and cause the wrongful loss through gift cards redeemed on Amazon,” said police.

Cases have been registered under Sections 419/420/120B/34 of IPC.

Police have also recovered nine desktop systems along with an internet router and TP-link modems from the accused’s possession.

“By using computer Apps- Team Viewer, Zoho Assist, they dupe the victim and cause the wrongful loss through gift cards redeemed on Amazon,” said police.

Cases have been registered under Sections 419/420/120B/34 of IPC.

Continue Reading

Trending